Monday, November 16, 2009

Confessions of the drunk and smokie

Purpose:
Recently it has become more and more evident that according to the “experts” I drink too much booze. Additionally there seems to be a popular belief now that smoking is not in fact good for you – even if you smoke menthols – I know, I find it hard to believe myself but that’s what “they” say, I just wish they wouldn’t say it quite so often because I am starting to believe it.

I can’t say that I am a problem drinker in the sense that factors in my life are adversely affected by the amount I drink or the regularity of my drinking, but I can say that I really really really look forward to a glass, well lets be honest, at least a bottle at the end of the day, which is accompanied by smoking, because the two just fit so incredibly well together and I simply do not do one without the other. You will never find me outside the building at work having a smoke, or in a café at lunch time or walking alone the street blowing smoke and ashing all over those unfortunate people walking behind me, but when a bottle of wine or a bottle of gin is cracked open a smoke must be lit, its just the rules.

So I firstly decided that the smoking was a huge problem, I have been smoking more often and more regularly than I would like to and I know it makes things I love doing like running, just that much harder and less enjoyable for me, but the habit is formed, if I try to have wine without the smoke I miss it.

I have also recently lost quite a lot of weight, and seem to be returning after a period of hiatus to a more normal size. The issue is that despite the exercise and diet being really very very good, there is little movement of the scales recently and I think it’s the booze.

Additionally I have been becoming more serious about starting a family some time in the not so distant future and have been wondering how I would possibly cope without my two most pleasured vices for not only the 9 months of pregnancy, but also in the lead up to ensure I was in perfect health and also in the period for up to 12 months where I would hope to be able to breast feed – this puts some real questions before me about what I would prefer – to have a family, or a bottle of wine and a packet of smokes that never runs out…….

More importantly, would I actually even be able to do it and to what extent is my “addiction” likely to influence my decision to have a glass (or a bottle) or wine every so often or just have a fag every now and then when pregnant as it ‘really couldn’t be that bad’…….and this is a likely scenario when I find it hard to make it to Wednesday without either – let alone several years!!

I don’t want to be the kind of mother that has to call a cab to take her kid to the hospital in an emergency because I have sculled a bottle of wine simply to get me through the day, and I certainly don’t want to be the kind of mother who smokes around her kids – sorry to those of you who do, its not a value judgement about you or your parenting, its just that I don’t want to do that.

So I have decided to set myself a challenge. I want to stop both smoking and drinking. I can drink on weekend but not combined with smoking and I need to drink more moderately, smoking is to be completely cut.
So I have decided to record my daily struggle via this blog. Perhaps it will provide inspiration, perhaps it will prove to be one of the reasons I stop, who knows – but here we go:

Monday 16 November 2009

Ok, so the first day of my challenge and I must admit that I had not fully committed to this challenge although broadly speaking I have wanted to not drink or smoke on school nights as a rule.

So got home, cleaned up and did some washing, David came home, we were to meet the builder, he arrived and after an hour or so of consultation he left. I needed to go to Coles to get a few things for tea and David went to the gym, but before doing so put a steak in the microwave to defrost. I was advised that this would take 7 minutes and that I needed to stay until the microwave was finished or it would keep beeping until I got back home, perfect! I could have a quick glass of wine and a smoke – which I did.

When preparing tea, I drank another glass of wine and when David was cooking his steak on the BBQ I topped up the wine glass and had a smoke outside, it was really nice out there – what will I do out there when I don’t have a glass of wine and a smoke in each hand!????

Glass of wine with tea, David had one too and after dinner I had just one last smoke and washed down the last of the bottle. Oh dear. It would seem that I have a long way to go. It would be fair to say that the first day of my challenge was not the success I had hoped it would be. But there is always tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. haha! great to see you back Rach, good luck with your challenge, though maybe you should just look at cutting it down, not out! everyone needs their vice! glad to have your honesty and wit back on here! now all you need to do is fill us in on the last 3 or so months since you last wrote!

    ReplyDelete